Spotters in "Environment and Health: Fly control measurers " for CFM & MPH students
1. Environmental control:
The best way to control houseflies is to eliminate their breeding places & environmental sanitation. A clean house with clean surroundings is the best answer to the fly problem.
- Storing garbage, kitchen wastes, and other refuse in bins with tight lids, pending disposal.
- Efficient collection, removal & disposal of refuse by incineration, composting & sanitary landfill.
- Provision of Sanitary latrines, e.g, pit privies, septic tanks, water-seal latrines & sanitary system.
- Stopping open-air defecation.
- Sanitary disposal of animal excreta.
- Stepping up general sanitation.
2. Insecticidal control:
Insecticides are only a supplement, but not a substitute for sanitation.
(i) Residual sprays:
- It showed resistance to DDT in 1948 & also developed resistance to other organochlorines, organophosphorus, and carbamate pesticides.
- Susceptible flies may be killed by DDT (5%), methoxychlor (5%), lindane (0.5%), or chlordane (2.5%) sprayed at about 5 liters per 100 sq. meters of surface area.
- For resistant flies, diazinon (2%), dimethoate (2.5%), fenthion (2.5%), malathion (5%), or ronnel (5%) may be used.
- The addition of sugar to insecticidal formulations enhances their effectiveness.
- Care should be taken to prevent contamination of food & water during spraying operations.
- It may be solid or liquid.
- Baits containing 1-2% diazinon, malathion, dichlorovas, Rommel & dimethoate have been tried with success.
- liquid baits containing 0.1-0.2 % of the same insecticides & 10% sugar water have also given good results.
- Cheapest bait is made up of a mixture of 3 teaspoons of commercial formalin with one pint of water or milk to which a little sugar is added.
(iii) Cords & ribbons:
- Cords & strips impregnated with diazinon, fenthion, or dimethoate are used with success.
- These are hung like festoons from ceilings.
- The period of effectiveness ranges from 1 to 6 months.
(iv) Space sprays:
- Pyrethrin, DDT, HCH are available which may be applied indoors or outdoors using hand or power sprayers.
- They have very little or no residual action.
- Temporary effect on adult fly population hence repeated applications needed.
- 0.5% Diazinon, 2% dichlorovas, 2% dimethoate, or 1% ronnel applied at the rate of 28-56 liters per 100 sq. meters
- Used for the treatment of fly breeding places but resistance can develop.
- Sticky flypapers are adjunct to other methods.
- Made by mixing 2 lbs of resin+ one pint of castor oil, which should be heated together until the mixture resembles molasses.
- While hot, it is smeared on paper by using an ordinary paintbrush.
- Can also be applied to strips of wire.
- No long-lasting benefit.
4. Protection against flies:
- Screening of houses, hospitals, food markets, restaurants, etc.
- Screens with 14 messes to the inch will keep houseflies out but finer screens will also keep other insects out.
5. Health education:
- A fly consciousness should be created among people.
- Organized individual & community effort is necessary for a successful public health program.
- Park, K. (2019). Park's textbook of preventive and social medicine. 25th. Jabalpur, India: M/S Banarsidas Bhanot.
- Kadri AM. (2019). IAPSM's Textbook of Community Medicine. 1st. New Delhi, India: Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers (P) Ltd.
- https://www.shutterstock.com/search/indian+toilet photo credit
- https://www.pinterest.ca/pin/200058408417961948/ photo credit
- https://jamaicacottageshop.com/shop/garbage-bin-2x4/ photo credit
- https://www.indiamart.com/proddetail/gp-rogor-dimethoate-30-ec-15370755748.html photo credit
- http://www.orionagriscience.co.nz/insecticides/zagro-diazinon photo credit
- https://sites.sandiego.edu/sdpollutiontrackers/2018/04/18/chlordane-is-among-us/ photo credit
- http://www.cooperses.com/product-detail/ultrakill-fly-bait-2/ photo credit
- https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Azamethiphos-Agita-Fly-Control-Trap-Killing_62450835127.html photo credit
- https://www.zoecon.com/all-products/premise/starbar-fly-bait-station photo credit
- https://www.aliexpress.com/i/32908807326.html photo credit
- https://www.istockphoto.com/photo/flypaper-with-dead-flies-gm1145664599-308441320 photo credit
- https://fineartamerica.com/featured/flies-stuck-to-flypaper-photostock-israel.html?product=metal-print photo credit
- https://www.amazon.in/Rentokil-Fly-Papers-Set-Ff89/dp/B00Q8PE7Y6 photo credit
- https://www.archdaily.com/922100/18-screens-house-sanjay-puri-architects photo credit
- https://www.ylarecce.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=668964 photo credit
- https://www.amazon.com/PIC-Ribbon-Insect-Catcher-Pack/dp/B000KOHNHY photo credit
- https://www.indiamart.com/proddetail/chlorphriphos-20-ec-6210464755.html photo credit
- http://www.fcnindia.org/sponsorship/medical-care-and-health-education photo credit
- https://study.com/academy/lesson/diseases-caused-by-houseflies.html photo credit
- https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1477893918300371 photo credit