Spotters in "Nutrition and Health: Beverages" for CFM & MPH students
1. Coconut Water (नारियल पानी ):
Nutritional Values (per 100 gm) & important features of Coconut water:
- Carbohydrate: 3.71 gm
- Protein: 0.72 gm
- Fat: 0.2 gm
- Energy: 19 kcal
- Minerals:(Ca- 24 mg, Mg- 25 mg, Iron- 0.29 mg, K- 250 mg)
- Thiamine: 0.03 mg
- Riboflavin: 0.05 mg
- Niacin: 0.08 mg
- Vitamin C: 2.4 mg
- Folates: 3 µg
- Clinical importance: Rich in cytokines, bioactive enzymes & potassium.
2. Sugarcane juice (गन्ने का रस):
Nutritional Values (per 100 gm) & important features of Sugarcane juice:
- Carbohydrate: 9.1 gm
- Protein: 0.1 gm
- Fat: 0.2 gm
- Energy: 39 kcal
- Minerals: 0.4 gm
- (Ca- 10 mg, P-10 mg, Iron-0.1 mg, K-)
- Thiamine: 0.03 mg
- Crude fiber: 0.56 gm
- Riboflavin: 0.04 mg
- Niacin: 0.14 mg
- Vitamin C: 7 mg
- Carotene: 41 µg
- Clinical importance: It has no simple sugars hence diabetics can enjoy it.
3. Palm sap/ Neera (नीरा):
Nutritional Values (per 100 gm) & important features of Palm sap/ Neera :
- Carbohydrate: 10.9 gm
- Protein: 0.4 gm
- Fat: 0.1 gm
- Energy: 45 kcal
- Minerals: 0.5 gm
- (Ca- 15 mg, P-140 mg, Iron-0.1 mg, K-180 mg)
- Thiamine: 0.05 mg
- Riboflavin: 0.08 mg
- Niacin: 0.7 mg
- Vitamin C: 15 mg
- Clinical importance: Rich in Potassium, Magnesium, Zinc and Iron and a natural source vitamin B complex and vitamin C. Diabetic friendly having low glycemic index.
4. Coffee (काॅफी):
Nutritional Values (per 150 ml) & important features of Coffee:
- Carbohydrate: 17.8 gm
- Protein: 1.8 gm
- Fat: 2.2 gm
- Energy: 98 kcal
- Clinical importance: Rich in caffeine (0.6% to 2%) which is a stimulant of nervous system.
5. Tea (चाय):
Nutritional Values (per 150 ml) & important features of Tea:
- Carbohydrate: 16.4 gm
- Protein: 0.9 gm
- Fat: 1.1 gm
- Energy: 79 kcal
- Clinical importance: Rich in caffeine (2-6%), tannic acid (6-12%) & also contains theophylline (traces).
6. Cocoa (कोकोआ):
Nutritional Values (per 150 ml) & important features of Cocoa:
- Carbohydrate: 26.2 gm
- Protein: 7.2 gm
- Fat: 8.8 gm
- Energy: 213 kcal
- Clinical importance: Rich in theobromine which has stimulating properties.
7. Soft drinks (साॅफ्ट ड्रींक):
Important features of Soft drinks:
- Some are carbonated example soda water incorporating carbon-dioxide under high pressure.
- Some are non carbonated such as fruit juices.
- Principal ingredients are carbon dioxide, sugars, acids such as citric or tartaric acid, coloring and flavoring agents.
8. Alcoholic drinks (शराब):
Important features of Alcoholic drinks:
- These are beer, whisky, rum, gin, arrack etc.
- Alcoholic content varies widely from 5-6 % in beers to 40-50 % in rum, whisky, gin & brandy.
- Alcohol gives about 7 kcal per gram.
- National Institute of Nutrition (India), Gopalan, C., Rama, S. B. V., & Balasubramanian, S. C. (1978). Nutritive value of Indian foods. Hyderabad, India: National Institute of Nutrition, Indian Council of Medical Research.
- Park, K. (2019). Park's textbook of preventive and social medicine. 25th. Jabalpur, India: M/S Banarsidas Bhanot.
- Kadri AM. (2019). IAPSM's Textbook of Community Medicine. 1st. New Delhi, India: Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers (P) Ltd.
- Longvah T, An-antan I, Bhaskarachary K, Venkaiah K. Indian food composition tables. Hyderabad: ICMR-National Institute of Nutrition; 2017.
- Mohan Ram M and I Gopalan (1981). Nutritional Disabilities, ICMR, National Institute of Nutrition, Hydrabad.
- Tricase, C., Amicarelli, V., Lamonaca, E., & Rana, R. L. (2018). Economic analysis of the barley market and related uses. In Grasses as Food and Feed. IntechOpen.
- https://buybuycart.com/product/coconut-2/ photo credit
- https://veratureoverseas.com/product/sugarcane-juice/ photo credit
- https://drlogy.com/food-facts/beverages/neera-terrific-health-benefits-facts photo credit
- https://www.picserver.org/c/coffee-cup-black01.html photo credit
- https://www.beveragedaily.com/Article/2020/01/31/What-next-for-Lipton-and-PG-Tips-Unilever-s-strategic-tea-review photo credit
- https://www.dreamstime.com/royalty-free-stock-image-cocoa-drink-image29522296 photo credit
- https://www.newfoodmagazine.com/article/42343/soft-drinks-industry-reduce-added-sugars-10-2020/ photo credit
- https://vinepair.com/world-top-30-liquors/ photo credit