Paracetamol / Acetaminophen
It is a very good and promptly acting antipyretic having negligible anti-inflammatory action.
- Does not stimulate respiration or affect acid-base balance;
- Does not increase cellular metabolism.
- Has no effect on CVS.
- Gastric irritation is insignificant— mucosal erosion and bleeding occur rarely only in overdose.
- Does not affect platelet function or clotting factors and is not uricosuric.
- In isolated antipyretic doses paracetamol is safe and well tolerated.
- Nausea and rashes occur occasionally, leukopenia is rare.
Paracetamol is one of the most commonly used ‘over-the-counter’ analgesics for
- Mild migraine,
- Musculoskeletal pain,
- Dysmenorrhea, etc.
- Recommended as first choice analgesic for osteoarthritis by many professional bodies.
- One of the best drugs to be used as antipyretic, especially in children (no risk of Reye’s syndrome).
- Can be used in all age groups (infants to elderly), pregnant/lactating women, in presence of other disease states and in patients in whom aspirin is contraindicated.
- Does not have significant drug interactions.
Acute paracetamol poisoning:
- Occurs especially in small children who have low hepatic glucuronide conjugating ability.
- If a large dose (> 150 mg/kg or > 10 g in an adult) is taken, serious toxicity can occur.
- Fatality is common with > 250 mg/kg
325–650 mg (children 10–15 mg/kg) 3–5 times a day.
- CROCIN 0.5, 1.0 g tabs;
- METACIN, PARACIN 500 mg tab, 125 mg/5 ml syrup, 150 mg/ml paed. drops,
- ULTRAGIN, PYRIGESIC, CALPOL 500 mg tab, 125 mg/5 ml syrup,
- NEOMOL, FEVASTIN, FEBRINIL 300 mg/2 ml inj.,
- CROCIN PAIN RELIEF: 650 mg + Caffeine 50 mg tab.
- JUNIMOL-RDS 80, 170, 250 mg suppository (for children),
- PARACETAMOL RECTAL SUPPOSITORY 80, 170 mg
- Tripathi KD. Essentials of medical pharmacology. JP Medical Ltd; 2013 Sep 30.
- https://www.typharm.com/products/paracetamol-suppositories/ photo credit
- https://www.1mg.com/drugs/dolo-650-tablet-74467 photo credit
- https://www.flipkart.com/crocin-650-advance-tablets/p/itm3ee60252e3497photo credit
- https://www.calpol.co.uk/our-products/calpol-infant-suspension photo credit