National Nutrition Week: Healthy Diet for Elderly People
What is the need?
When National Nutrition Week is celebrated?
What should be included in diet?
- Carbohydrates:Less calories should be taken. Take more whole grains & fortified foods which are rich in fiber & vitamin B-complex.
- Proteins: They provide many important nutrients. A variety of protein sources should be chosen including nuts, beans, fish, lean meat & poultry.
- Oils & Fats: Liquid vegetable oils & soft margarines provide important fatty acids and some fat soluble vitamins but saturated fats should be avoided.
- Fruits & Vegetables: Whole fruits & vegetables are rich in important nutrients, vitamins & fibers. Choose vegetables & fruits with deeply colored flesh. Choose canned varieties that are packed in their own juices & low sodium.
- Herbs & spices: Use a varieties of herbs & spices to enhance the flavor of food & reduce need of salt but avoid eating much spicy food.
- Dairy products: Fat free & low fat milk, cheese, yogurts provide protein, calcium & other important nutrients.
- Fluids: Drink plenty of fluids in the form of water, soups, fruits juices. Reduce intake of tea, coffee & alcohol.
How should be cooking?
How to take the food?
- Ensure to eat small quantities of food
- At more frequent intervals and
- Drink water at frequent intervals to avoid dehydration and constipation.